I’m licking my chops just looking at these pictures. This risotto was good. Damn good, in fact. And I know risotto.
I de-veganized this from an Oh She Glows recipe. Butter and cheese makes everything better, amIright?
Mushroom Risotto with Caramelized Onion
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 1 large sweet onion, julienned
- 1 tbsp + 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tbsp butter
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large sprig fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 cup uncooked arborio rice
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to garnish
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat. Cook onion for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the garlic and cook over medium-low for about 8 minutes. Reduce heat if necessary to avoid burning.
2. Turn the heat up to medium-high. Add all the sliced mushrooms to the skillet and let them cook for 5-10 minutes.
3. Add the rosemary sprig and seasonings to the skillet. Stir well. Cook for a couple minutes. Now add in the rice, balsamic vinegar, and broth gradually as it cooks, stirring regularly.
4. Meanwhile, make the caramelized onions. Heat 3 tbsp olive oil in a cast iron skillet. Add the julienned onion to the oil and sprinkle liberally with salt. Cook on low heat, stirring occasionally, until the onions turn a dark brown, for about 30 minutes. Watch closely.
5. When the risotto has finished cooking, stir in the parmesan. Distribute into bowl and top each bowl with a spoonful of caramelized onions and freshly ground pepper. Serves 2-4.